Like so many of our guests, Sarah P. did not grow up understanding how money works. She wasn’t bad with money, she just wasn’t very good with it.
She learned about financial independence through Mr. Money Mustache and completely revamped her finances, incorporating frugality and minimalism with investing to completely fund her lifestyle. Her goal was security, and financial freedom made a lot of sense.
Real estate was intriguing, and Google kept directing her to BiggerPockets. She started buying real estate, eventually accumulating 14 units in three states over the course of four years.
Sarah cemented her success by having a large cash cushion to shield her from the surprises that real estate throws at you—a trait most successful real estate investors have.
Making smart, money-conscious decisions allowed her to retire at the age of 30 from traditional work, so she can now spend time doing what she loves without regard to how much it pays.
Sarah and her husband are truly living their best lives because passive real estate investments fund everything they do.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
The all-new FreshBooks is accounting software that makes running your small business easy, fast and secure. Spend less time on accounting and more time doing the work you love. For a 30-day unrestricted trial, go to FreshBooks.com/bpmoney
Fundrise enables you to invest in high-quality, high-potential private market real estate projects. I’m talking anything from high rises in D.C. to multi-families in L.A. — institutional-quality stuff. And each project is carefully vetted and actively managed by Fundrise’s team of real estate pros.
Their high-tech, low-cost online platform lets you track the progress of every single project, and keep more of the money you make. Oh, and by the way, you don’t have to be accredited.
Visit Fundrise.com/bpmoney to have your first 3 months of fees waived.
In This Episode We Cover:
- Sarah’s journey with money
- How she discovered Mr. Money Mustache
- Having security as her financial blueprint
- Her financial position before she discovered financial independence
- Being conscious of the purchases she makes and officially retiring at 30
- What their annual spending looks like
- Other investments they have and creation of their real estate portfolio
- How she financed her first townhouse
- Total number of properties she owns
- The importance of having cash reserves
- Her recommendation to anyone who doesn’t have a huge reserve
- Her total lifestyle expenses once her mortgage is eliminated
- Their healthcare plans
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
- “Certainly not rosy, it’s been a lot of work to get here and I’m not saying that there will never be a storm.” (Tweet This!)
- “Be conservative because you don’t know what you don’t know.” (Tweet This!)